Autor Subiect: Stiri despre alte modele ACURA  (Citit de 161014 ori)

0 Membri și 1 Vizitator vizualizează acest subiect.

Offline tokyodream

• Global Moderator
  • Mesaje postate: 4.549
  • Gen: Bărbat
  • Acura-Honda
    • DAIMYO
Stiri despre alte modele ACURA
« : Februarie 14, 2014, 09:52:15 a.m. »
http://www.carnewschina.com/2014/02/12/spy-shots-2015-acura-tlx-testing-in-china/

Spy Shots: 2015 Acura TLX testing in China

The very first spy shots of the 2015 Acura TLX testing in China. The Acura TLX debuted as a concept on the Detroit Auto Show last month and the production version will go on sale later this year. The TLX is a completely new car that replaces both the Acura TL and the Acura TLX.

Razor sharp headlights will make it to the production version. The Acura TLX will be powered by a 2.4 liter four-cylinder and a 3.5 liter V6. The TLX is testing in China because Acura has big plans for the Chinese car market and thus wants to make sure the TLX behaves well on Chinese roads. The whole Acura range is currently available in China but they are all imported so prices are high and sales are very slow. The Acura TLX will be imported as well, at least initially. Local production of Acura cars will start in 2016, first car to roll off the line will be an SUV based on the Acura SUV-X concept.

==============

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/acuras-rlx-is-a-lovely-car-thats-hard-to-love-2014-02-15?siteid=rss&rss=1

Acura’s RLX is a lovely car that’s hard to love

Now, what was your handle there, partner? The 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD? SH-Shawd, is it? Nice.

There are many mysteries in life. Giraffe husbandry is apparently more subtle than one would expect. But I would like for someone to explain to me, in very small words, why I don’t want this car, Acura’s HMC -0.73%   JP:7267 -1.07%  replacement for the RL and its advanced-hybrid entry in the midsize, midpremium sedan segment (BMW 5-series, Cadillac CTS, Infiniti M35h, Audi A6). Why is my heart an interstellar void, a timeless dharma of no thanks? I just don’t want it.

Objectively, this is a great machine (around $60,000 to start). It might be called the best car in its class, but when you look at it — an all-wheel-drive, gas-electric hybrid, midpremium sedan — RLX has a class to itself. This car boasts a pair of pretty stellar numbers: 377 horsepower (system net) and an EPA-estimated 30 miles per gallon, combined, effectively offering V8 power in a five-passenger sedan with four-cylinder fuel economy. It has class-leading rear-passenger space and a trunk that can stow four lightweight golf bags (12 cubic feet). Acura says the RLX’s powerful, jeweled LED headlamps have the greatest illumination in the segment, and only occasionally cause insanity.

From an engineering and packaging perspective it is 10 pounds in a 5-pound bucket. Concealed about the person of the RLX Hybrid: a 3.5-liter, 310-hp direct-injection V6; a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission with its own integrated e-motor/starter; a power-electronics module the size of an otter, situated in space formerly reserved for a drive shaft; a 1.3 kwh battery pack, which itself is the size of carry-on luggage.

And, most salient for our purposes, there are two goodly electric-traction motors (36 hp and 54 pound-feet apiece), arrayed at the rear axle line, each powering, or de-powering, a rear wheel as needed to help the car turn, much as paddling forward on one side and backward on another turns a canoe. This is the eponymous Sh-shawd system.

Imagine this: You roll into a tight curve, brushing the brakes and steady throttle (by now, of course, you’ve pressed the “Sport” button on the RLX’s handsome gear-selector console; doing so, the media materials assure us, initiates maximum Takaburi, or “exhilaration,” at the will of the driver, or Inomama).

Beneath the RLX’s relatively high belt line, the aluminum skin weakly retreats to the car’s underside, visually suggesting less athleticism than the car actually possesses. It could be because the RLX Hybrid looks very much like what it is, an outrageously expensive clone of the company’s Honda Accord.

As the dual-clutch gearbox ticks off quietly lusty downshifts, you turn the wheel, and to comply with the directed line, the system lags the inside rear wheel with regenerative braking (negative torque) and over-drives the outside rear wheel (positive torque), imparting a yaw moment, a turning force, in the car.

I took this car for a flog in San Francisco Bay Area hill country and it was a revelation. When the inside rear wheel checks up in a corner — sometimes trail-braking hard enough to chirp the tire — the yaw acceleration picks up quite palpably, and the car whips around a corner like its skirt is caught in a cab door.

The RLX’s handling is pinpoint, sparkling, with a physicality that you don’t expect in a car of its burgher-esque aspirations. I have every confidence that the RLX Etc., will wear out an Audi A6 or Cadillac CTS on a road course, and do so with quiet confidence and total lack of tire histrionics. You point the RLX and it goes. And the car I was driving was fitted with not-particularly sporty M+S radials. I’d like to drive this car with summer rubber on it.

Also surprising is the pace. With three torque-y electric motors and a responsive, high-tech V6 at its disposal, the car can exploit both efficiency and performance opportunistically. Below 50 mph, with moderate throttle demand, the car will rely mostly on its electric propulsion. At times of sudden demand and extended high output, the system entrains the V6, and it catches a brisk gas-powered tailwind. A full-throttle launch will take the RLX Hybrid to 60 mph in about 5.5 seconds — quick for a V6-powered, 4,354-pound sedan — and if you’re in the mood the RLX will gladly rev and snarl. In Sport mode, downshifts are met with trills of engine revs as the computer automatically rev-matches, or “blips” the throttle.

You will have to listen closely, however. A huge amount of noise-damping syrup has been poured over this car. The twin-motor unit, for instance, has its own elastically isolated subframe. The engine’s shuffling on and offstage is likewise silenced by an actively damping engine mount. Other noise attenuation includes noise-cancelling output from the audio system, acoustically laminated window glass, and antihowl silencers built into the alloy wheels themselves. In the normal order of business, drivers will be unaware of the car’s algorithmic dealings as it shuttles among seven drive modes. It will just hum.

With your permission, a historical footnote: Torque vectoring — the asymmetrical application of torque across and between axles to affect higher steering response, linearity and vehicle stability — is the hot dynamics technology, enabled by hybridization and the supple modulations of torque possible with electric-traction motors. The Porsche 911 GT3 Hybrid race car I drove a couple of years ago did what the Acura does, except the Porsche’s powerful electric motors are twinned on the front axle and not the rear (Acura’s reborn mid-engine exotic, the NSX, coming later this year, will be arranged similarly).

But it is the RLX, actually, that has brought fully articulate torque vectoring to the mass market. Hmmm. Yeah. No, still don’t want it.

I concede. It isn’t rational. The RLX is spacious, especially compared with the old RL, with rear seat legroom that dare I say even a euthanized giraffe would appreciate. It gets full marks in crash safety (full marks from the Feds, and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety). It bristles with driver-assistance features, including optional active cruise control with low-speed follow (call it “auto stop and roll”); and optional lane-keeping assist and departure warning.

The rap against Acuras used to be that they are front-drive cars posting up against authentic rear-drive luxury cars from BMW and Mercedes. But Audis are likewise front-biased. Not only that, thanks to the 357 additional pounds of distributed mass in the RLX Hybrid, weight distribution is improved, to 57/43%, front/rear, compared with the non-hybrid’s nosy 61/39. Another objection down in flames.

And yet, nada. I am a barren land where Acura’s seed can find no purchase. It might be something as subtle as what designers call “stance.” Its German competitors (Audi A6 and BMW 5, including) emphasize a broad and low presence, signaling a low center of gravity and road holding, with lower belt lines, close-fit wheel wells, fuller body contours along the rocker panels. Beneath the RLX’s relatively high belt line, the aluminum skin weakly retreats to the car’s underside, visually suggesting less athleticism than the car actually possesses. It could be because the RLX Hybrid looks very much like what it is, an outrageously expensive clone of the company’s Honda Accord.

Where styling does intrude on the RLX Hybrid, it does so weirdly: The hockey-stick curve of the front wheel arches; the full-on-crazy, actress-on-a-rampage headlamps.

In any event, thanks, thanks immensely, but no. I’d rather eat giraffe.

====================

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1178769

American Honda Reports January 2014 Sales as Acura Division Sets New Records

02/03/2014 - TORRANCE, Calif.

Acura light truck sales post 37.1 percent increase to set new January record
    MDX sales rise more than 64 percent; RDX sales up for 21st consecutive month
    Honda Odyssey posts 16.6 percent increase; CR-V sales up 2.4 percent

American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported January 2014 Honda and Acura vehicle sales of 91,631 units, a decrease of 2.1 percent vs. the same period last year amid record cold weather that affected industry sales in many parts of the U.S. Led by a strong lineup of all-weather SUVs, the Acura Division gained substantially in January, with sales up 14.1 percent for a total of 10,823 for the month. The Honda Division recorded sales of 80,808.

Honda

Record cold weather in several of Honda's stronghold markets in Eastern and Midwestern parts of the country helped cool sales across the board in the first month of the year. Despite the chill, both Civic and Accord managed to top 20,000 units while the award-winning Odyssey posted a double-digit increase. CR-V also recorded a January rise.

The Civic was the best-selling Honda model in January with 21,824 sales.
    Odyssey showed the brand's biggest gain, up 16.6 percent on sales of 7,879.
    CR-V posted 18,232 sales, an increase of 2.4 percent.

"After a hot sales year in 2013 that saw the CR-V join Accord and Civic as the third Honda vehicle to sell more than 300,000 for the first time in our history, January's foul weather cooled things a bit," said John Mendel, executive vice president of automobile sales at American Honda. "We look forward to a warming trend, especially as new products like the updated 2014 Civic Si and the all-new 2015 Fit join the lineup this year."

Acura

Acura light truck sales extended a remarkable run, setting a fourth straight monthly record.
    MDX also continued its exceptionally strong sales pace with a 64.7 percent increase for its best January ever.
    RDX claimed its 21st consecutive monthly record, adding 9.7 percent for another January record.

"Even the frigid January weather couldn't stop the all-wheel-drive MDX and RDX from posting another record sales month," said Jeff Conrad, vice president and general manager of Acura Sales. "Acura is starting the year on strong footing that will get even stronger when the RLX Sport Hybrid and all-new TLX luxury sport sedan go on sale later this year."

« Ultima Modificare: Februarie 16, 2014, 09:55:05 a.m. de tokyodream »
Verifica seria VIN a masinii tale prin CARVERTICAL:

https://www.carvertical.com/ro/landing/v3?utm_source=aff&a=daimyo&b=0eb206ae

Offline tokyodream

• Global Moderator
  • Acura-Honda
    • DAIMYO
Re: Stiri despre alte modele ACURA
« Răspuns #1 : Martie 05, 2014, 10:57:56 a.m. »
Acura Gains Drive American Honda Sales Results in February 2014

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1181508

03/03/2014 - TORRANCE, Calif.

Accord, Civic, CR-V and Odyssey continue sales momentum
    Acura light trucks rise 29.8 percent to set fifth consecutive monthly sales record

American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported February 2014 Honda and Acura vehicle sales of 100,405 units. Acura light trucks bucked the February trend, gaining 29.8 percent for the month on sales of 7,482 units. The Honda Division recorded sales of 88,860.

Honda
Even as the mainstream U.S. auto market slowed from a year ago, 2013 best-sellers Accord, Civic and CR-V earned sales of more than 20,000 units each in February, while Odyssey continued to pull in positive numbers.

Odyssey sales were up 4.6 percent with 8.945 units sold in February
    CR-V rose 0.4 percent on sales of 20,759 units

"With the overall market catching its breath we're pleased that core models like Accord, Civic and CR-V each continue to gain more than 20,000 new customers each month," said John Mendel, executive vice president of automobile sales at American Honda. "It just shows once again that when quality and value are baked into the product, consumers will beat a path to your door."

Acura

Acura light truck sales topped even last year's torrid pace with a fifth straight monthly record, rising 29.8 percent.

Acura Division sales bucked market trends with an increase of 1.6 percent overall on sales of 11,545 units
MDX sales continue to soar with a 54.9 percent increase on sales of 4,563 units last month
RDX posted its 22nd consecutive monthly sales record with sales up 4.2 percent with 2,911 units sold
"Offering the comfort, connectivity and performance every luxury customer wants at a price no other luxury brand can match is clearly a winning formula for Acura light trucks," said Jeff Conrad, vice president and general manager of Acura Sales. "With Acura trucks setting records month after month, we are creating great momentum for the introductions this year of the RLX Sport Hybrid and all-new TLX luxury performance sedan."

Offline tokyodream

• Global Moderator
  • Acura-Honda
    • DAIMYO
« Răspuns #2 : Martie 08, 2014, 10:31:23 a.m. »

2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech review notes

Acura's manual-equipped TL is still quite the driver

ASSOCIATE EDITOR GRAHAM KOZAK: I don't think many people have really been sure what to make of Acura lately. The neo-NSX has been in the works forever, the TLX “prototype” we saw in Detroit was nice enough but hardly a stunner, and the range-topping RLX can't quite keep up with the German competition.

So the prospect of driving a 2014 Acura TL SH-AWD (one of two models the coming TLX is supposed to replace, the other being the TSX), didn't exactly get the heart pumping. Off the bat, I knew I was going to be confronted with a cluttered, button-laded center console and a fairly solid chassis/powertrain draped in so-so sheetmetal.

Still, I'm always happy to be proven wrong by a car, and though the TL does still sport that unfortunate parts-bin-sourced infotainment cluster, it's easy enough to look past the center console once you leave the driveway.

The TL wasn't just more fun to drive than I was expecting -- an admittedly low-ish bar -- it was genuinely entertaining.

You'll want to tap the sensitive throttle just because the V6 seems so happy to be revved. The engine note is pleasantly mechanical, and it's just loud enough to hear in the otherwise quiet cabin. I like that; it's a nice, subtle reminder of how Honda got to be where it is today. The precise shifter caught me off guard in a good way, and I'm pleased that Acura sees fit to offer the six-speed manual in its higher-level, AWD-equipped trims. Mazda, take note.

Like its engine, the car seems to enjoy being pushed; the AWD system eliminates any torque steer that the 273 lb-ft may have produced. It's flat and solid through corners and confident in the snow.

All in all, this is the most pleasant, most interesting and most engaging Acura I can recall being in recently. It's not exactly a stunner, but its angles stand out from beak to trapezoidal exhaust tips. It's got a great engine and a surprisingly crisp transmission. And the price isn't even that ridiculous when you consider that a comparable Buick Regal GS AWD is in the ballpark.

But -- and you knew there was going to be a “but” -- this is probably the kind of car Acura needs to be presenting as its baseline if it wants to move forward. It's a pretty decent example of the future-techno-luxury (or entry-level luxury, or whatever) that Acura could be bringing to the market, from its smaller cars on up through its big crossovers. And the aforementioned Buick isn't the only thing within this price rage: So is the Audi A4 quattro and the slightly smaller 4Matic-equipped Mercedes-Benz C-class.

I know, I know. I don't have to design, engineer, build or sell cars, so it's easy enough for me to talk. But it's also easy enough for buyers to drive right past the Acura lot in search of something else, which seems to be the case these days.

SENIOR MOTORSPORTS EDITOR MAC MORRISON: I've always preferred the third-generation TL's exterior styling and proportions to those of this fourth-gen model, but I never have many complaints once I push the start button and begin to give the car a workout. Young Kozak shouldn't be surprised by the six-speed manual's precise action, as it is a long-appreciated Acura staple.

Stuck driving through snow once again as this Nuclear-esque winter drags on with no end in sight, the AWD-equipped TL inspires exceptional confidence thanks to its well-controlled chassis, excellent seating position and chunky steering wheel; perhaps the highest compliment I can pay it is to say the TL is a very fluid package, resulting in spirited driving even in less-than-ideal conditions. Don't mistake that statement as bragging of hooliganism or dangerous driving, but rather to point out how the TL puts you into driver mode immediately. The solid traits mentioned already synthesize with the strong, mildly rumbly engine to produce a well-balanced, mechanical-feeling sport-sedan that I still enjoy very much even now, a good five years post-introduction.

I agree with Graham regarding some of the controls, though I don't necessarily find the center stack too busy; I don't always prefer that each control is embedded within a complex, on-screen only multi-media/navigation/climate/trash compactor setup. But some of the controls that are on-screen only are mildly irritating to discern. And please, Acura, the driver's display message -- and diagram showing three pedals (!) -- instructing me EVERY TIME I get in to depress the clutch before firing the ignition (or in the case of the automatic-gearbox equipped TL, to press the brake first) is asinine.

ASSOCIATE EDITOR JAKE LINGEMAN: This gearbox has been around for a long time now, and it's still one of the best in the business. Perfect throw, perfect height, and perfect snap as it clicks into place. When I was assigned the car for the weekend, I already knew I liked the naturally-aspirated engine; the manual transmission was a bonus.

This V6 delivers fantastic acceleration in nearly every gear, and pushes hard, even when shifting early. The exhaust note sounds a little metallic, reminding me of the Nissan V6s. All-wheel drive kept me cruising over all sorts of terrain, from snow to ice to dusty salt. It even squawked a few tires when I popped the clutch after slowing for a distracted driver.

The shape is pretty boring, and like Mac said, this is one of the few Acuras that looked better in previous years.

The multitude of buttons is kind of a pain, but you do get used to them over the course of a few days. I even changed the settings in the radio so I could skip through all channels, and not just favorites. The navigation system was great when I got stuck in traffic on my way home, and started taking random turns just to get some speed going. The system also quickly connected to my Apple iPhone and played all my stuff.

The TL comes in right at BMW 3-series money, which is a tough sell for people who care about brands. Would a buyer choose an Acura over the Roundel, all other things being equal? I doubt it.

ROAD TEST EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: I hope everyone enjoyed what most likely will be their last go around with this TL SH-AWD and the manual transmission, because it sure doesn't seem like there are plans for a good old-fashioned, three-pedal setup in the upcoming TLX.

The fact that a manual is available in this generation TL with SH-AWD wasn't a given and is only here because engineers at Honda R&D America fought for it. They got the plan approved and developed it, which is the first time a manual gearbox was used in conjunction with SH-AWD. To make it work, they had to develop stronger engine and transmission cradles and half-shafts. What are the chances of a manual getting approved again? Probably slim, but you never know. We can always hope.

This TL's bland overall appearance has been well documented above, but I do prefer the current softer lines compared to the wild and crazy creases all over the place that this car had when it first debuted. I still find the cabin supremely comfortable, with excellent seats that are cushy and supportive. Materials throughout are of good quality with nice finishes, and the button-heavy center stack is something I've never had a problem with. It's logically laid out and doesn't take much time to get used to. I know Acura is moving towards more touchscreen-dependent interiors like the one found in the MDX, and to be honest I prefer hard buttons over tapping on a screen that will inevitably smudge up.

But this TL remains a solid vehicle even in its old age. Nobody builds a smoother V6 than Honda/Acura and nobody does more fluid manual gearboxes. The engine sounds great at wide-open-throttle and effortlessly revs up high with peak power being made up there. Even down low, there is enough grunt in the V6 to make it a flexible engine. While the manual shifter in the TSX is tops in operation, the TL is a close second, with crisp shifts and a light clutch that's a snap to operate.

It's a dynamic-feeling chassis that's responsive to steering inputs with well-weighted steering feel. It's well-damped to keep the body nicely tied down with minimal body roll. Ride quality is firm but comfortable, with the majority of small and medium ruts smoothed out.

And for $44K, there's good value here, with the Technology trim level packing in navigation with real-time traffic and weather information, a rocking ELS sound system, push-button starter, and Bluetooth. The only thing missing that I would really want is the blind spot monitoring system that's included in the Advance versions, but that's not available with the manual. I would gladly live without the blind-spot monitor for the stick.

2014 Acura TL SH-AWD with Technology Package

Base Price: $44,295

As-Tested Price: $44,295

Drivetrain: 3.7-liter V6; AWD, six-speed manual

Output: 305 hp @ 6,000 rpm, 273 lb-ft @ 5,000 rpm

Curb Weight: 3,889 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA City/Highway/Combined): 17/25/20 mpg

AW Observed Fuel Economy: 18.0 mpg

Options: None

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140306/carreviews/140309907#ixzz2vMILuk9t
Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook

Offline tokyodream

• Global Moderator
  • Acura-Honda
    • DAIMYO
« Răspuns #3 : Martie 12, 2014, 09:30:36 a.m. »
Spied on the Street! Production 2015 Acura TLX

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1182281

Brian Williams of KGP Photography managed to snag the first set of camo-free shots of the production 2015 Acura TLX, giving the world its first clear look at the replacement for Acura's TL sedan.

NOTE: We have confirmed that this is in fact an export model.

We caught a couple of undisguised, fresh-from-the-factory 2015 Acura TLX test cars, giving us the first look at at the truly production-spec replacement for the TL and TSX.

The TLX Concept that debuted at the recent North American International Auto Show in Detroit wasn't exactly a complete look at a showroom-ready TLX. The black and white test cars caught on their post-build shakedown runs reveal toned-down front- and rear-fascias. The concept showcased a deeper front air-dam and more aggressive rear bumper, with flared sculpting and bold chrome accents. Those aggressive details are not found on the final production models, making for a more tame TLX that will enter Acura's lineup after its New York Auto Show debut.

PS - baietii spun pe forum ca ar fi modelul pentru RUSIA

=============

Offline tokyodream

• Global Moderator
  • Acura-Honda
    • DAIMYO
« Răspuns #4 : Martie 18, 2014, 05:50:19 p.m. »
Acura's Multi-City "Driven by Passion" Tour Showcases 2014 RLX Flagship Sedan

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2014/03/17/106487-acura-s-multi-city-driven-by-passion-tour-showcases-2014.html

TORRANCE, CA--Mar. 17, 2014: Acura has kicked off a multi-city cross-country tour called "Driven by Passion" to showcase the automaker's new flagship luxury-performance sedan, the 2014 Acura RLX. The new experiential marketing campaign will occur alongside local cultural events in busy city-center locations while supporting local organizations and philanthropic causes along the way.

The tour began at the Palm Springs Fine Art Fair earlier this winter, and will make stops at cultural events around the country. Acura's "Driven by Passion" events will offer guests an immersive ride & drive opportunity – the chance to take a personalized test drive of the all-new Acura RLX. The tour will culminate this spring in Chicago. (Full tour schedule is listed at Engagements)

The "Driven by Passion" tour is open to the public, and events in each designated city are intended to draw the attention of passersby. Guests in attendance will have access to Acura product specialists, receive information on Acura products and learn about the local and regional organizations supported in conjunction with the tour. Organizations supported by the "Driven by Passion" tour have been selected to reflect cultural passion points of each tour stop, embodying the luxury, prestige and excitement of the Acura brand.

The all-new 2014 RLX is Acura's flagship luxury sedan and features signature Acura technologies, including an all-new 310‑horsepower i-VTEC® direct-injection V-6 engine, Precision All-Wheel Steer™ (P‑AWS), Jewel Eye™ LED headlights and the next generation of the AcuraLink® connected car system.

On sale later this year, the Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD luxury-performance sedan is the first vehicle to deploy Acura's new 3‑motor hybrid powertrain technology, delivering 377 total system horsepower. The Sport Hybrid system combines a highly efficient, direct-injected V-6 engine with an all-new, Acura-designed 7-speed dual clutch transmission (DCT) with built-in electric motor and an electrically powered variant of Acura's highly regarded torque-vectoring Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®).

This advanced new hybrid powertrain delivers exhilarating driving performance with incredibly responsive power delivery, and precise, sure-footed handling performance. Supported by the instantaneous torque delivered by its high-output electric motors, the RLX Sport Hybrid delivers V-8 power and 4-cylinder fuel efficiency.

==================

Offline tokyodream

• Global Moderator
  • Acura-Honda
    • DAIMYO
« Răspuns #5 : Martie 20, 2014, 08:31:52 a.m. »
http://acuraconnected.com/2014/03/19/2015-acura-tlx-to-debut-at-the-2014-new-york-international-auto-show/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AcuraConnected+%28Acura+Connected%29

2015 Acura TLX to Debut at the 2014 New York International Auto Show

Official release from Acura Media Newsroom:

TLX to deliver higher levels of luxury refinement and sports-sedan athleticism with thrilling performance

03/19/2014 – TORRANCE, Calif.

The production Acura TLX performance-luxury sedan will make its world debut at the 2014 New York International Auto Show. Designed to compete in the midsize luxury segment, the 2015 Acura TLX will deliver higher levels of luxury refinement and sports-sedan athleticism with exhilarating performance enhanced by next-generation Acura powertrain and dynamic-handling technologies.

The 2015 TLX will offer two advanced new powertrains – a 2.4-liter 16-valve, direct-injected i-VTEC® 4-cylinder engine mated to an all-new 8-speed dual-clutch transmission with torque converter; and a 3.5-liter 24-valve direct-injected i-VTEC V-6 mated to a new 9-speed automatic transmission.

Two-wheel-drive models, available with either the 2.4- or 3.5-liter powerplants, will utilize the next-generation of Acura Precision All-Wheel Steer™ (P-AWS™) technology with independent left and right rear-wheel toe angle control. The TLX SH-AWD™, available exclusively with the 3.5-liter powerplant, will employ a next-generation Super-Handling All Wheel Drive™ system that is 25-percent lighter and incorporates new torque-vectoring control logic.

The TLX was designed to deliver vault-like quietness in all driving conditions, with major improvements in noise reduction through enhancements to body stiffness, body sealing and sound insulation, and the application of electronic Active Noise Control. The TLX will be available with Acura’s most advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies including Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™), Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow and Blind Spot Indicator (BSI).

The Acura press conference is scheduled for 1:50 p.m. (EST) on April 16, 2014 inside the Jacob Javits Convention Center. The conference can also be viewed live on www.youtube.com/acura. For members of the media, press materials and photography will be posted at www.acuranews.com immediately following the press conference.

[Source: Acura]

====================

http://acuraconnected.com/2014/03/19/rendered-2016-acura-coupe/

Rendered: 2016 Acura Coupe

With the NSX set to return next year I know many Acura fans have been wondering if a more affordable two-door sport coupe will soon follow. Unfortunately I don’t have the answer to that question, but I can show you my rendition of what it might look like.

While automotive renderings are not my specialty, I did attempt to use current Acura styling and incorporate aggressive features like the large air inlets, front spoiler and a strong shoulder line. The dimensions will be similar to the current BMW 4-series Coupe, as I based the proportions on a photo of that model. It would also explain why this rendering has some slight “fish-eye” distortion.

The Acura hybrid badge signifies that yes, it will have Sport Hybrid SH-AWD. And heck since this is my rendering I’ve also decided it will get a turbocharged V6 engine.

[Source: Acura Connected]

================

NSX Prototype set for debut at Goodwood Festival of Speed

http://acuraconnected.com/2014/03/19/nsx-prototype-set-for-debut-at-goodwood-festival-of-speed/

Official release from Honda UK Newsroom:

19 March 2014

- Innovative hybrid all-wheel drive supercar to enter production in 2015
- Festival of Speed will showcase NSX’s advanced technologies, performance and handling

The ground-breaking NSX supercar, powered by an innovative three-motor Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) system, and set for launch in 2015, will take centre stage at this year’s Goodwood Festival of Speed (27-29 June) when it takes on the world’s most famous hillclimb in front of a capacity crowd. The Festival will provide visitors with a rare opportunity to see and hear the all-new version of a supercar whose forebears gained iconic status around the world.

The NSX has a long-standing relationship with the Festival of Speed. In 1993, at the time of the first Festival, a fleet of 10 NSX were showcased at Goodwood. Launched in 1990, the original NSX was already known as a ground-breaking exotic car, delivering super performance and handling, without compromise in usability and ergonomics. Driven by UK journalists, the 10 NSX made a thrilling impression on visitors to the first Festival of Speed. More than two decades have passed and the new NSX is making its return to Goodwood. It will again open the door for a new era of the Super Sports model and Honda sees the Festival as the perfect event to demonstrate its flagship supercar for the first time in Europe.

The new prototype will be joined on the famous hillclimb by a 1989 3.0-litre NSX, once driven by Ayrton Senna himself, and a 2005 3.2-litre, illustrating the original model’s rich history and development.

Honda’s stunning all-new NSX will rewrite the rulebook for high performance cars when it enters production next year with an innovative new three-motor hybrid powertrain, exotic looks and breathtaking performance.

The car will be powered by a mid-mounted, direct-injected next-generation longitudinally placed twin-turbo V6 engine mated to Honda’s Sport Hybrid SH-AWD® (Super Handling All-Wheel Drive) system. Sport Hybrid SH-AWD® is an all-new, three-motor high-performance hybrid system that combines torque vectoring all-wheel drive with advanced hybrid efficiency through the use of three electric motors – one motor integrated with the V6 engine and its all-new dual-clutch transmission (DCT) driving the rear wheels, and two motors driving the front wheels. The system enables instant delivery of negative or positive torque to the front wheels during cornering to achieve a new level of driving performance unparalleled by current AWD systems.

For anyone who loves the sight, the sound and the smell of racing and supercars, Goodwood’s three-day Festival is one of the greatest shows and the perfect platform for Honda to put the NSX prototype through its paces.

For further information on the Festival and to buy tickets visit http://www.goodwood.co.uk/festival-of-speed/welcome.aspx

[Source: Honda UK]

====================

http://acuraconnected.com/2014/03/17/acura-kicks-off-driven-by-passion-tour/

Acura Kicks Off “Driven by Passion” Tour

Acura’s Multi-City “Driven by Passion” Tour Showcases 2014 RLX Flagship Sedan, Supports Local Organizations and Causes Along the Way

03/17/2014 – TORRANCE, Calif.

Acura has kicked off a multi-city cross-country tour called “Driven by Passion” to showcase the automaker’s new flagship luxury-performance sedan, the 2014 Acura RLX. The new experiential marketing campaign will occur alongside local cultural events in busy city-center locations while supporting local organizations and philanthropic causes along the way.

The tour began at the Palm Springs Fine Art Fair earlier this winter, and will make stops at cultural events around the country. Acura’s “Driven by Passion” events will offer guests an immersive ride & drive opportunity – the chance to take a personalized test drive of the all-new Acura RLX. The tour will culminate this spring in Chicago. (Full tour schedule is listed at http://www.acura.com/Engagements)

The “Driven by Passion” tour is open to the public, and events in each designated city are intended to draw the attention of passersby. Guests in attendance will have access to Acura product specialists, receive information on Acura products and learn about the local and regional organizations supported in conjunction with the tour. Organizations supported by the “Driven by Passion” tour have been selected to reflect cultural passion points of each tour stop, embodying the luxury, prestige and excitement of the Acura brand.

The all-new 2014 RLX is Acura’s flagship luxury sedan and features signature Acura technologies, including an all-new 310?horsepower i-VTEC® direct-injection V-6 engine, Precision All-Wheel Steer™ (P?AWS), Jewel Eye™ LED headlights and the next generation of the AcuraLink® connected car system.

On sale later this year, the Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD luxury-performance sedan is the first vehicle to deploy Acura’s new 3?motor hybrid powertrain technology, delivering 377 total system horsepower.  The Sport Hybrid system combines a highly efficient, direct-injected V-6 engine with an all-new, Acura-designed 7-speed dual clutch transmission (DCT) with built-in electric motor and an electrically powered variant of Acura’s highly regarded torque-vectoring Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®).

This advanced new hybrid powertrain delivers exhilarating driving performance with incredibly responsive power delivery, and precise, sure-footed handling performance. Supported by the instantaneous torque delivered by its high-output electric motors, the RLX Sport Hybrid delivers V-8 power and 4-cylinder fuel efficiency.

====================

Offline tokyodream

• Global Moderator
  • Acura-Honda
    • DAIMYO
« Răspuns #6 : Martie 23, 2014, 09:02:26 a.m. »
http://acuraconnected.com/2014/03/21/road-track-how-ayrton-senna-made-the-acura-nsx-exceptional/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AcuraConnected+%28Acura+Connected%29

Road & Track: How Ayrton Senna made the Acura NSX exceptional

Did you notice today’s Ayrton Senna Google Doodle? The graphic honors the Brazilian Formula One Legend on what would have been his 54th birthday. Almost 20 years ago Senna suffered fatal injuries at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix where his life was cut short at the age of 34.

Senna rose to fame piloting the Honda powered McLaren MP4 to three Formula One World Championships, and it was because of that connection, Honda was able to get his input on the NSX:

In February of 1989, right around the same time the demonstration car was dropping jaws with its svelte, mid-engined looks, a gaggle of Honda engineers were waiting with polite expectation to hear a positive verdict on one of the company’s most ambitious projects ever. It was called the New Sportscar Experimental, and the engineers were confident that the newly-minted Formula 1 champion driving their creation could not fail to be impressed. The team had just completed an entire month at the Suzuka Circuit, and considered their all-aluminum machine to be as forged and honed as a katana. They were about to be disappointed. Brendan McAleer, Road & Track

Read the rest of this feature from Road & Track: How Ayrton Senna made the Acura NSX exceptional.

[Source: Road & Track]

===============

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mysterious-mclaren-2017-p15-flagship-may-get-honda-hybrid-technology/

Mysterious McLaren: 2017 P15 Flagship May Get Honda Hybrid Technology

McLaren has admitted it is working on a new flagship model that will take the place of the sold-out P1 at the top of its range. Known internally as the P15, it won’t be as costly as the $1.15 million P1—perhaps $500,000—and will be a full production model rather than a limited edition.

Due to launch in 2017, details and specifications of the P15 are not yet finalized. Mike Flewitt, CEO of McLaren Automotive, has confirmed that all the cars in its future product plan are mid-engine two-seaters with carbon-fiber structure. For the P15, some kind of hybridization seems likely, although the power output is unlikely to match the 903 horsepower of the P1.

An intriguing possibility is the involvement of Honda, which will power McLaren’s Formula 1 cars starting in 2015. When the F1 road car was being developed in the 1990s, Honda declined to join the program because a large-displacement V-12 engine was required. But times have changed and engine downsizing is rampant. It now makes sense for McLaren to leverage Honda’s extensive hybrid technology experience as it moves forward with the P15.

=============

Offline tokyodream

• Global Moderator
  • Acura-Honda
    • DAIMYO
« Răspuns #7 : Martie 25, 2014, 12:38:20 p.m. »
http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2014/03/25/consumer-reports-lists-best-used-cars-ones-avoid/

Consumer Reports lists Best Used Cars and Ones to Avoid

Used Car Standouts from the 2004 through 2013 Model Years

Yonkers, NY – With prices at historic highs – even for models with high mileage and seemingly excessive wear – and with so many vehicles from which to choose, shopping for a used car can be a challenge.  To help Americans choose the best used car for their money, Consumer Reports compiled a Best & Worst Used Cars list for model years 2004 through 2013.

The full report is available in Consumer Reports’ Annual Auto Issue, which is on newsstands now, and at the 2014 Autos Spotlight page on ConsumerReports.org.

Highlighted are the best small cars, sedans, and SUVs available in four price ranges: from $10,000 or less up to $25,000. Each performed well in CR’s testing when new and had above-average reliability for the model years shown, based on CR’s Annual Auto Survey. And all models came standard with electronic stability control (ESC).

“When shopping for a used car, it’s really important to find a car that drives well and will hold up down the road. Our guide makes it easy for shoppers to choose a great used car by highlighting the best small cars, sedans, and SUVs in four different price ranges,” said Rik Paul, auto editor, Consumer Reports.

In the $15,000-$20,000 price range the following cars made Consumer Reports’ list of best used cars:
SMALL CARS: 2012-13 Hyundai Elantra and 2011-13 Subaru Impreza

These are as roomy and as comfortable as larger, more expensive cars. The Elantra combines nimble and secure handling with a fairly comfortable ride. The Impreza sedan and hatchback both offer standard all-wheel drive along with sporty handling and a great ride.
SEDANS: 2011-12 Toyota Camry, 2010-11 Toyota Camry Hybrid, and 2008 Acura TL

Both the four- and six-cylinder Camry deliver impressive fuel economy along with a comfortable ride, a roomy cabin, and superb reliability.  For even better gas mileage, the Camry Hybrid gets 34 mpg overall and 41 on the highway.  A sportier alternative is the Acura TL, which has long been one of our favorite sedans to drive.
SUVs: 2006-07 Lexus RX and 2009-10 Subaru Forester (nonturbo)

The Lexus RX is comfortable, nicely finished, and extremely reliable. The hybrid version gets good fuel economy. The Forester is more utilitarian but handles well and has an excellent ride.  Access is easy, and the view out is the best among SUVs.

The Consumer Reports used cars to avoid list includes 2004 to 2013 models that have had multiple years of much-worse-than-average overall reliability, according to CR’s Annual Auto Survey. Among the more than twenty models that made the list are the BMW X5 (6-cyl.), Chrysler Town & Country, Ford Fiesta, and Volkswagen Beetle.

For more information on used cars pick up a copy of Consumer Reports’ April Annual Auto Issue, which is available on newsstands now wherever magazines are sold, or visit the 2014 Autos Spotlight page on ConsumerReports.org.

Consumer Reports is the world’s largest independent product-testing organization. Using its more than 50 labs, auto test center, and survey research center, the nonprofit rates thousands of products and services annually. Founded in 1936, Consumer Reports has over 8 million subscribers to its magazine, website and other publications.

Its advocacy division, Consumers Union, works for health reform, food and product safety, financial reform, and other consumer issues in Washington, D.C., the states, and in the marketplace.

===================

http://www.examiner.com/article/acura-looks-to-stir-up-passion-car-buyers-with-subtle-technology

Acura looks to stir up passion in car buyers with subtle technology

Acura's Passion National Tour hit Atlanta March 21-24 showcasing the newest line of Acura cars while it also gave Atlantans a chance to drive all new 2014 Acura RLX Hybrid on the streets of Atlanta.

Atlantic Station was the setting for this unique marketing campaign that featured the Acura marketing team answering the questions of passers by and helping support support the American Cancer Society as funds raised will benefit the organization's Atlanta chapter.

On to the cars.

First of all, they are nice. So nice, that the marketing team that is on this cross country tour is actually driving the cars from city to city, and they don't seem to mind.

Looking for a luxury sedan that has all the technology you need, but it doesn't hit you over the head with it?

Give a looksy to the 2014 RLX. The RLX is Acura's flagship luxury sedan and features fantastic Acura technology that will blow you away. Sliding into the sedan, you see bells and whistles, but I didn't feel intimidated. The car is comfortable and rides well, as you might expect. It comes with an all-new 310‑horsepower i-VTEC direct-injection V-6 engine, Precision All-Wheel Steer (P‑AWS), Jewel Eye™ LED headlights and what really shines is the current generation of the AcuraLink® connected car system.

The car is high tech, if you want it to be.

Everything from the cruise control, to the rear-view cameras, and even the entertainment system are very easy to use. Even a newcomer to the car will feel at east looking at the buttons and controls. There are other little things that are easy to do- like altering the climate for those sitting in different seats in the car. Also I gave a "wow" to the center console that opens from either side and has a top that slides back.

It's the little things, and Acura does it well.

Coming out later this year is the Acura RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD.

This promises to be luxury and performance all in one slick sedan.

It's the first vehicle to feature Acura's new 3‑motor hybrid powertrain technology, offering 377 total system horsepower. The Sport Hybrid is efficient and a direct-injected V-6 engine with the new and innovative, Acura-designed 7-speed dual clutch transmission. An electric motor with a new version of Acura's highly regarded torque-vectoring Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD).

Although all the Acuras are powerful, it was comforting to learn they also get better than average mileage. The marketing team all seemed satisfied with the MPG they are getting as they drive 1000s and 1000s of miles.

We all know the luxury car market is ultra-competitive. What Acura is trying to do is break away from the pack with a bunch of new technology that is useful. So many times I hear about the latest tech advances and wonder, who would ever use that?

Acura is giving drivers and riders technology that is easy to use and helps enhance the car driving and ride experience.

If you haven't given Acura a look in a while. You need to now.

The "Driven by Passion" tour began in Palm Springs at the Palm Springs Fine Art Fair earlier this winter. It will also make stops at cultural events around the country. Acura's "Driven by Passion" events will offer locals a ride and drive of the great new Acuras, including the all-new Acura RLX. The tour will wrap up in May in Chicago.

Check out these #hashtags for more information:

#AcuraRLX
#AcuraRLXHybrid
#RLXInstantPower

You can "like" Acura on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/Acura

Also on Instagram at: www.instagram.com/Acura

Get up-to-date on everything Acura at www.acura.com.

===============

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140323/OEM/303249973/acura-gains-clout-searches-for-cachet

Acura gains clout, searches for cachet
Can dedicated team boost maturing brand's allure?

LOS ANGELES -- For nearly three decades, Acura and Honda were under the same tent at American Honda, with marketers, product planners and regional sales staffs splitting their time between the two brands. There have been some Acura-only employees in recent years, but for the most part, Honda Motor basically treated Acura products as upscale trim levels of Honda-badged products.

And it showed.

Acura has been wandering in the desert for years, plagued by bland product, inconsistent marketing and a muddled alphanumeric vehicle-naming strategy.

American Honda Motor Co. executives hope that their decision this month to create a cohesive sales and marketing silo for Acura, along with an r&d team dedicated to the brand, will be reflected in smarter product and better marketing -- and a better share of mind with Honda Motor Co. executives in Japan.

The new structure is similar to what Toyota has done with Lexus and Volkswagen with Audi. But just how much can the restructuring do for a nearly 30-year-old luxury brand that is still struggling with image issues?

Unlike Lexus, there is no Acura brand in Japan or Europe. Overseas, Acura products wear Honda badges. Nearly all Acuras are assembled in the United States, making it even harder to get on the radar of Japanese executives.

Loose grip on luxury
Almost half of Acura customers are conquests moving up from nonpremium brands, according to an early-2013 survey of new-vehicle owners. But Acura also has had trouble persuading buyers to stick with the brand.
Percentage of buyers who moved up from nonpremium brands
Acura   49%
Audi   38%
Lexus   36%
Mercedes-Benz   23%
BMW   22%

Percentage of owners who returned to nonpremium brands
Audi   46%
Acura   45%
Lexus   35%
BMW   34%
Mercedes-Benz   27%

Source: AutoPacific

"Not many shoppers view it as a luxury brand. It doesn't have the status of a Lexus or Audi. It's more like a Buick, a semi-premium vehicle," said AutoPacific analyst Dave Sullivan. "They don't seem to know what direction they want to go in. They don't have the Lexus experience at the dealer. No one is clamoring for an Acura."

Honda executives and dealers are optimistic that recent steps will change that dynamic. A key problem was that American Honda had "long been separated by function rather than brand. Automotive operations was different than auto sales," said John Mendel, American Honda's executive vice president.

Another problem was that national and regional strategies did not align. Having distinct brand silos will keep those twin strategies on-message, Mendel said in a recent conference call.

Art Wright, a Honda and Acura dealer in Lehigh Valley, Pa., welcomes the changes, saying, "We were going nowhere under the old structure."

Wright describes the current Acura identity as "schizophrenic." The MDX and RDX crossovers are hot sellers that frequently conquest the German brands and Lexus. But the sedans get no traction against other luxury brands. He holds out hope that this summer's critical launch of the TLX, an Accord sibling that replaces both the TSX and TL sedans, will provide a bit more allure.

Mendel doesn't dispute the criticisms made by Wright and others of Acura's inconsistency.

"We need dedicated resources and a dedicated organization [for Acura], to not get 'averaged out' when you compare it to the Honda brand," Mendel said. "There's a lot of recognition that Acura should be and can be a much stronger brand."

Mike Accavitti, the brand's new general manager, confidently sees the future Acura "as being every bit a luxury brand as the Germans or the other Japanese or the domestics."

Acura will have to move quickly to get there. Most luxury nameplates that borrow mass-market underpinnings take care to hide their mainstream roots. And while the redesigned RDX has a V-6 under the hood -- instead of its Honda CR-V sibling's inline-four -- Acura saved money by shelving the RDX's Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive system for the CR-V's more pedestrian system.

And when comparing the ILX compact sedan with its Civic cousin, AutoPacific's Sullivan carps: "The ILX has a hollow-door sound, and the door handle feels like it's going to break off. This is not luxury-car quality."

For all the pounding Acura takes from critics, empirical data show plenty of potential for the brand on the flip side of its weaknesses. For instance, more luxury-vehicle owners are considering buying Acuras next than Infinitis or Lincolns -- 31 percent vs. 24 and 16 percent, respectively -- according to AutoPacific data. Still, the German brands, Lexus and Cadillac have much higher intention rates.

And while Acura has a high conquest rate of luring people out of their nonpremium cars, it also loses a disproportionate amount of customers back to the mainstream.

"There is no way the hot chick in This Is 40 would be driving an Acura," Sullivan said, referring to the movie whose lead characters own a Lexus and a BMW. "It's not the brand you think of when you think of luxury. It's the one you move into when you are comfortable with your Accord."

====================

Offline tokyodream

• Global Moderator
  • Acura-Honda
    • DAIMYO
« Răspuns #8 : Martie 27, 2014, 09:24:31 a.m. »
http://acuraconnected.com/2014/03/25/acura-tlx-gt-race-car-to-debut-at-detroit-grand-prix/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AcuraConnected+%28Acura+Connected%29

Acura TLX GT Race Car To Debut At Detroit Grand Prix

03/25/2014 – TORRANCE, Calif.

Racing application for new 2015 Acura TLX
    Will run in highly competitive GT category
    Single-car entry for RealTime Racing and driver Peter Cunningham

Acura Motorsports today announced that the new 2015 Acura TLX GT will make its Pirelli World Challenge competition debut at the May 30-June 1 Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix double-header race weekend.

To be campaigned by long time Acura Motorsports partner RealTime Racing, the new TLX GT will move Acura into the top category of the Pirelli World Challenge, facing competition that includes the Audi R8 LMS, Cadillac CTS-V, Chevrolet Corvette, Dodge Viper, Lamborghini Gallardo, Mercedes SLS, Nissan GTR, Porsche 911 and Ferrari 458.

“The competition in the 2014 Pirelli World Challenge is incredible, but Acura has never shied away from strong competition, in the marketplace or on the race track,” said Art St. Cyr, President of Honda Performance Development and Vice President, Product Planning and Logistics, American Honda. “The 2015 Acura TLX is a true luxury sport sedan, so it is fitting that the car be raced against several of its natural competitors, and even some up-market brands, in the Pirelli World Challenge.”

Developed from the production Acura TLX by HPD, the racing arm of American Honda Motor Co., Inc., the Acura TLX GT Race Car will feature HPD chassis and aerodynamic performance parts approved for Pirelli World Challenge competition, and will be powered by a direct-injected, twin-turbocharged V6 engine, developed by HPD from the normally aspirated, production TLX luxury sport sedan. It will utilize all-wheel drive, as found in Acura’s SH-AWD system.

RealTime Racing, the most successful team in Pirelli World Challenge history, will initially field a single Acura TLX GT for owner/driver Peter Cunningham, with a second car to be added at a later date.

RTR has raced and won with both Honda and Acura products for more than two decades. Since entering the Sports Car Club of America Pro Racing-sanctioned World Challenge series in 1993, RTR has scored a record 85 race victories on its way to 14 Manufacturers’ Championships and 14 Drivers’ Championships.

“In our 27 years of racing Hondas and Acuras, we have developed a clear understanding of what it takes to win races and championships,” RTR team principal Cunningham said. “In 2014, the Pirelli World Challenge GT class looks to be more competitive and diverse than at any time in the history of the series, and we look forward to the challenges that lie ahead. We will be working hard to develop the new TLX GT into a winning package. That’s what we love to do.”

About Honda Performance Development
HPD was founded in 1993 as the performance arm of American Honda, to spearhead the company’s entry into Indy car racing. No other manufacturer has matched Honda’s success in Indy cars, which includes 204 race victories, 15 drivers’ championships, six manufacturers’ championships and nine consecutive Indianapolis 500 victories (2004-2012). In 2013, Honda powered veteran Scott Dixon to four race wins and the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series championship; and Tristan Vautier to series Rookie of the Year honors.

HPD’s prototype racing efforts have resulted in more than 60 victories and multiple American Le Mans Series championships. The company’s sports-car racing debut in 2007 at the 12 Hours of Sebring marked the first win for HPD’s LM-V8 engine and the first for a Honda racing engine designed and developed outside of Japan. HPD won the LMP2 title in the inaugural 2012 World Endurance Championship and has twice won the LMP2 category at the 24 Hours of Le Mans since 2010. In 2013, HPD and Honda again swept the LMP1 and LMP2 manufacturers’, engine, team and drivers’ championships in the American Le Mans Series; while HPD-equipped Strakka Racing claimed the LMP1 class win at the 24 Hours of Le Mans for private team entries.

HPD participates in competition on both two wheels and four. The company offers a complete line of race engines for cars from grass roots to pinnacle; for professional, amateur and entry-level racers. For more information about HPD and the company’s racing and Street Performance product lines, please visit http://hpd.honda.com.

=============

2015 Acura TLX Is Not For Pussies, Acura Marketing Department Says

http://jalopnik.com/2015-acura-tlx-is-not-for-pussies-acura-marketing-depa-1551084264

Hey brah! 'Sup, brah. You like karate-chopping bricks? Dropping the mic on purpose? Crushing your boss's NCAA bracket? Puking at your sister's wedding? Have we got the car for you: the 2015 Acura TLX! No, for real, brah.

Acura unveiled their new marketing campaign for the sedan that replaces the TL and TSX, and it doesn't mince words: The Official Vehicle of Everything Thrilling. Everything Thrilling, you guys. The Acura TLX.

The ads are tied in to the NCAA tournament and will air on ESPN and on non-Deadspin website Bleacher Report, so it's fairly obvious who this car is aimed at: young men who aren't pussies. The ads call it "The official vehicle of destroying your boss's bracket" and compare the thrill of driving the TLX to "staring into a wolf's eyes."

You know what? While I have been a pretty harsh critic of the 2015 TLX so far because of its nap-inducing design and its adherence to the same formula that has left Acura struggling for sedan sales, I'm a fan of this camapign.

No, really! I'm a fan. I think it's clever and ridiculous and funny, and maybe even a little self-deprecating in a fun way, considering how boring the brand has become. Good for Acura for trying something different, right? I think it's in the same vein as the Seinfeld-aided Acura MDX campaign from last year, and I found those spots to be generally hilarious.

I just hope for Acura's sake that the TLX can live up to the crazy, mic-dropping, wolf-baiting, fish-grabbing standards established by their marketing department. Everyone wants to see Acura make truly thrilling cars. Maybe this will be it.

Add your own thrilling Acura TLX taglines in the comments!

=================

« Ultima Modificare: Martie 27, 2014, 10:06:35 a.m. de tokyodream »

Offline tokyodream

• Global Moderator
  • Acura-Honda
    • DAIMYO
« Răspuns #9 : Martie 29, 2014, 09:22:56 a.m. »
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140327/CARREVIEWS/140329874

2014 Acura ILX Tech review notes
A respectable entry-level luxury compact

ROAD TEST EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: There are a few certainties that come with Acura vehicles: They are always going to have solid drivetrains, snappy handling traits and conservative styling. And it's no different with this 2014 Acura ILX Tech that's based on the Honda Civic. That means a suspension with MacPherson struts up front and a multilink setup out back, but I don't really think the ILX looks a lot like the Civic. Sure, they have similar proportions but the sheetmetal is certainly different. I'm also glad that the Acura retains the torque-converted automatic gearbox instead of following the Civic's lead and “upgrading” to a continuously variable transmission -- at least for now.

This is the first time I've been in an ILX with the base 2.0-liter four-cylinder, which I'll point out isn't the 1.8-liter unit that regular Civics get. While 150 hp in the ILX felt sufficient getting off the line and merging into the expressway, there is no denying that my drivetrain of choice is the 2.4-liter I4 with 201-hp teamed with the super slick six-speed manual. The problem there is that the 2.4-liter is only offered with the Premium Package trim level, meaning you can't get navigation or the nice-sounding ELS audio system with it.

Our test car is a Technology Package model so it's loaded with the aforementioned navigation and premium audio system as well as real-time traffic and weather, Homelink and GPS-linked automatic climate controls, which explains the $32,585 as-tested price.

Over my weekend, I appreciated the ILX's spritely handling with quick steering, decent grip from the all-season Michelin Pilot MX HXM4 tires, and well controlled body motions through corners. Ride quality is fairly comfortable with the suspension taking the edge off of most of the ruts I encountered.

Cabin materials are alright with large portions of the main dash soft-touch. The center stack thankfully retains a lot of hard buttons with the main center infotainment screen inset into the dash. Heated seats were greatly appreciated and the soft leather-wrapped steering wheel conveys a feeling of higher quality. It's a nice setting if you consider that this is Acura's entry-level vehicle and is certainly a step above a Civic.

Overall, the ILX is a respectable entry that I would go with over the Buick Verano. But if I was looking to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $33K or $34K, I would be taking home another Acura vehicle: the soon-to-be discontinued TSX. For $34,630 you would have the TSX Tech with all the bells and whistles in a package that's better looking to my eye, has the stellar 2.4-liter engine and handles a bit sharper. If you can live without navigation, a better audio system and rearview camera, then you could get the TSX Special Edition with the six-speed manual for $32,530, which is probably what I would do.

ASSOCIATE EDITOR GRAHAM KOZAK: We should probably get this out of the way right now: The Acura ILX doesn't look that much like a Honda Civic. I mean, the rear three-quarter view means you'll never forget the two cars' shared lineage, but the Acura looks a lot less like a suppository than its compact cousin.

But I think the reason car people are so ready to call this a gussied up Civic is because it doesn't really look like anything. It's not a bad car inside or out -- it's just kind of boring. Like nearly everything else Honda/Acura seems to make today, it has a competent, rock-solid set of mechanicals. It can even be fun, at times. Yet all of its positive attributes are wrapped in a fairly dull package.

From the front seat, this car isn't a bad place to be (can't necessarily say the same about the back, which seemed small). Steering is smooth and direct, a good match for the powertrain. Snow and ice made it hard to push the car through corners with confidence (Acura's fun AWD system would have been welcome), but the suspension did seem to soak up the absolutely shocking number of potholes that have materialized on Detroit's roads since winter set in.

The 2.0-liter was pleasant if not particularly peppy; I'd like to try the 2.4-liter with the six-speed manual. If my enjoyable stint in the TL is anything to go by, I suspect I'd come away a little more enthused about the ILX with a slightly larger engine and the ability to select my own gears.

So, this is not a bad car. But buyers have a lot to choose from in this price range, like the turbocharged Buick Verano -- well equipped, it can be had for around the same price. It has about 100 hp on the Acura and it looks better, in my book. I'd like to give it a whirl before choosing a favorite.

2014 Acura ILX with Technology Package:

Base Price: $32,585

As-Tested Price: $32,585

Drivetrain: 2.0-liter I4; FWD, five-speed automatic

Output: 150 hp @ 6,500 rpm, 140 lb-ft @ 4,300 rpm

Curb Weight: 2,970 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA City/Highway/Combined): 24/35/28 mpg

AW Observed Fuel Economy: 22.0 mpg

Options: None

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140327/carreviews/140329874#ixzz2xKnYJm2h
Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook

============

Offline tokyodream

• Global Moderator
  • Acura-Honda
    • DAIMYO
« Răspuns #10 : Aprilie 01, 2014, 09:42:46 a.m. »
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20140330/BIZ/303309964/1031/BIZ

Honda launching Acura division

LOS ANGELES – Honda Motor Co., making good on plans to focus more on the image of its Acura brand, is setting it up as a division within the company for the first time with dedicated management, marketing and other resources.

The first premium car brand from an Asian automaker will be known as the Acura Division starting Tuesday and be led by U.S. Senior Vice President Mike Accavitti, the company said Monday in a statement.

The company’s namesake Honda Division will be led by Jeff Conrad, and both he and Accavitti will report to U.S. Executive Vice President John Mendel.

“American Honda automotive operations have long been separated by function rather than by brand,” Mendel said in a conference call. “This is a very significant step as it is the first time we have had a separate and exclusive division for the Acura brand. So this move obviously reflects the deep commitment we have for the future of Acura.”

The company since last year has acknowledged a need to shake up its premium brand, which arrived in the U.S. years before Toyota’s higher-volume Lexus luxury unit.

In December, Tetsuo Iwamura, Honda’s executive vice president and current North American chief, said fixing Acura, particularly its sedan line, was a top priority for the Tokyo company.

The plan for an Acura division follows Honda’s announcement last month that it’s forming an Acura Business Planning Office, which starts April 1, to be led by Erik Berkman, the company’s highest-ranking U.S. engineer.

Berkman, who led development of one of Acura’s biggest recent hits, the 2004 TL sedan, will lead product strategy and development for the brand, Honda said.

Improving the Acura line in the United States, the brand’s home market, is essential for it to become more of a global player, said Michael Robinet, managing director at consultant IHS Automotive.

“The U.S. market is critical, because it drives their activity from a global perspective,” he said. “There’s a real need to differentiate the vehicles from a technology perspective, the powertrain and at the customer-service level.”

Berkman’s TL helped push Acura to record U.S. sales in 2005 of 209,610 cars and SUVs. In 2013, a decline in Acura sedan sales kept Honda from a combined volume record, with Acura delivering 165,436 vehicles, 21 percent off its peak.

===================

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/collectible_classic/1404-1991-2005-acura-nsx/

Collectible Classic: 1991-2005 Acura NSX

Twenty-five years ago the notion of a Japanese supercar was inconceivable. Not just unlikely or even unpractical—it had never been done. Ever. That changed in February 1989 at the Chicago auto show, when Honda stunned the world with something called the “New Sportscar eXperimental.” The NSX was born.

It was a watershed moment. The NSX was Honda’s moonshot, the most ambitious project in its then 41-year history, summoning all of its racing and technological prowess into a single car. It was every bit as perception-altering as the Chevrolet Volt would become for General Motors two decades later. The NSX changed the definition of the modern supercar, and it foreshadowed Honda’s growing strength as a global automaker capable of competing with anyone, anywhere.

The NSX would be sold under the premium Acura sales channel in the United States, a shot-in-the-arm for a brand fighting to carve its niche in the crowded marketplace. Launching as a 1991 model, the supercar wasn’t just a landmark event for Honda, it was an engineering breakthrough for the industry, and the first production car to use an all-aluminum chassis and body. Hand-built in Tochigi, Japan, the NSX cost about $65,000, making it the most expensive Japanese car ever to that point.

While Honda executives wondered how the world would receive this mold-breaking creation, any anxieties were quickly dispelled. The NSX won almost every automotive award conceivable. We named it our 1991 Automobile of Year and our Design of the Year, and Honda president Nobuhiko Kawamoto was named our Man of the Year. Editor David E. Davis, Jr. called it “a homerun” in our January ’91 issue, writing that the NSX “performs its assigned tasks with the same lack of drama as a Honda Accord or an Acura Legend. It just happens to be a yowling, clawing, synapse-sizzling supercar.”

The Acura NSX drove with such energy, though its powertrain was modest, even for the time. The first generation ran a 3.0-liter V-6 with 270 hp and 210 lb-ft of torque that was paired with a five-speed manual. It was far less with the Corvette ZR-1 and Porsche 911 Turbo of the era—but that wasn’t the point. As Davis noted, the NSX was one of the first truly drivable supercars. You could cruise around town with an elbow out the window, or crack open the throttle and hit 60 mph in less than six seconds.

That split personality is what sticks with Doug Fox, the owner of this NSX. He also owns Ann Arbor Acura, and the NSX launched shortly after he became a dealer. He bought it in 1994 for about $32,000. Though he’s put less than 300 miles on the car in the last 20 years, he still vividly recalls taking his daughter to pre-school in the NSX. They would calmly motor along, and then Fox would step on the gas, and the power of the car would pull them back in their seats, eliciting excitement for father and daughter. Aside from an air filter, Fox’s striking red NSX is still exactly how it was when it arrived from Japan. He seldom drives the car, which sits in a place of prominence at his dealership. But when he does, the familiar emotions return. “It’s always exciting for me,” he says. “It’s like rediscovering the car.”

It goes without saying, his NSX is immaculate, and precipitation has never even entered the wheelwells. That’s a problem for us when we show up for our test drive. It’s an overcast Thursday, though we still trek across town under gathering skies, eager to drive the supercar. The moment we arrive at the dealership, rain drops begin to fall. Disappointment sets in, but it only heightens our excitement for the next day.

This time it’s a spectacular autumn morning. The NSX is already backed into a spot up front, just waiting for us. Our nerves are up. There’s a surge of adrenaline. If you aren’t excited to drive one of the most legendary supercars of all-time—one of the seminal cars of any stripe of the last 25 years—check your pulse.

We slide into the driver’s seat. It’s low, like a hovercraft, but it’s not ridiculous. The visibility is excellent. Thin A-pillars. A nice seating position. We immediately feel ready to drive. Push in. Turn the key. The engine fires up. Not in a loud and obnoxious manner, just quietly powerful. Parking brake down. Ease into first. The clutch is heavily weighted, but it’s easy to get used to. We creep out of the parking lot. The steering is really, really heavy at first. An immediate sense of intimidation hits us. We pull out onto a wide multi-lane boulevard, accelerate, and work through the gears. The shifter is a gem, topped in black leather with baseball-style stitching. We grip it like we’re preparing to throw a two-seam fastball.

As our speed builds, the sense of trepidation melts away. The NSX was ahead of its time. You could comfortably drive it in 1991, and you can comfortably drive it today. Once moving, the steering slackens. The response is light, and there’s plenty of play on-center. It does feel heavy through turns, especially when you slow down, but it’s predictable and fun. The five-speed manual is truly rewarding. It is accurate and engaging, really cementing the sense of satisfaction the driver gets from operating the NSX. We open up the throttle and hit 60 mph on smooth, clear roads, the fall colors blurring by as the sound of the purring of the engine washes over us.

Yes, there is a degree of challenge driving the NSX, but it has more to do with the mental weight of driving someone else’s prized possession. The NSX is quiet, proud, and potent, but it’s not abusive. It’s drivable, but that doesn’t make it any less desirable. Exactly like David E. said, and precisely how Honda intended. Acura is bringing back the NSX in 2015, and it’s a high-powered, ultra-modern supercar that will be built in America. It’s quite different from its predecessor. Undoubtedly it will spur a new generation of NSX fans, but it has a lot to live up to before it can achieve the legendary status of the original.

The Specs

Engines   3.0L (182 cu in) DOHC V-6, 252-270 hp, 210 lb-ft; 3.2L (194 cu in) DOHC V-6, 290 hp, 224 lb-ft
Transmissions   5- or 6-speed manual; 4-speed automatic
Drive   Rear-wheel
Front suspension   Control arms, coil springs
Rear suspension:   Control arms, coil springs
Brakes:   Vented discs, ABS
Weight   3000-3200 lb
The Info
Years produced:   1991-2005
Number produced:   18,737
Original price:   $62,000/ $89,765
Value today   $25,000-$65,000. Prices mimic those of regular used cars - the newer the model, the more valuable. Targa-topped cars (which debuted for 1995 and include all 2002-2005 NSXs) carry a slight premium, as do stick-shifted examples.

Why buy?   Few supercars from the past are this drivable. Regardless of the year, the NSX represents the ambition and technological prowess of Honda, all wrapped in an enthusiast-oriented package. Expect a resurgence in demand with the launch of the new 2015 Acura NSX

=============

Offline tokyodream

• Global Moderator
  • Acura-Honda
    • DAIMYO
« Răspuns #11 : Aprilie 02, 2014, 09:24:00 a.m. »
Acura USA March 2014 Sales Results:

American Honda Announces Sales Results for March 2014

04/01/2014 – TORRANCE, Calif.

Acura division sales up 10.5 percent with MDX and RDX setting monthly records

American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported March 2014 Honda and Acura vehicle sales of 133,318 units. Acura division gained 10.5 percent (14.7 percent based on the Daily Selling Rate, or DSR*)on sales of 15,580, with light trucks increasing 45.8 percent for the month on sales of 10,387 units. The Honda Division recorded sales of 117,738 vehicles in March.

Acura

Acura’s flagship SUV, the MDX, drove a 10.5 percent division increase as Acura light truck sales climbed nearly 46 percent from a year earlier. RDX also contributed to its remarkable string of monthly increases, with sales rising for the 23rd straight month.

Acura division sales increase 10.5 percent with 15,580 units sold in March
    Acura trucks rise 45.8 percent on sales of 10,387, a new March record
    MDX sales set a new monthly record with total sales up 80.6 percent, totaling 5,793 in March
    RDX recorded an increase of 18.2 percent on sales of 4,580 units, another March record

“It’s unusual to have such strength and consistency in the hyper-competitive luxury SUV segment,” said Mike Accavitti, Acura division senior vice president and general manager. “It’s clear that MDX and RDX possess the key qualities that give lasting appeal.”

*The daily selling rate (DSR) is calculated with 26 days for March 2014 and 27 days for March 2013. Year-to-date, the DSR is calculated with 75 days for 2014 and 76 days for 2013. All other percentages in release are unadjusted; see table for adjusted DSR figures.

TABEL VANZARI => http://acuraconnected.com/2014/04/01/acura-usa-march-2014-sales-results/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AcuraConnected+%28Acura+Connected%29

==============

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1332511/honda-canada-closes-out-a-strong-first-quarter-with-eight-percent-year-over-year-growth

Honda Canada Closes Out a Strong First Quarter With Eight Percent Year-over-Year Growth

Honda Civic maintains first quarter lead in compact segment
Honda Pilot and Acura RDX set best ever March sales records

MARKHAM, ON, April 1, 2014 /CNW/ - Combined March sales of 15,292 units by the Honda and Acura divisions of Honda Canada Inc. represented a 6% increase over last year's sales. The Honda Automobile Division reported March sales of 13,454 units, up 5% over last year. The Acura Division reported March sales of 1,838 units, up 6% versus last year.

"Honda's strong line-up of versatile utility vehicles proved to be attractive to Canadians in March, as Fit, CR-V, Odyssey, Pilot, Ridgeline and RDX saw monthly sales gains," said Dave Gardner, vice president of sales and marketing, Honda Canada Inc. "Additionally, the refreshed 2014 Honda Civic closes the first quarter as the leader in the competitive compact segment and we look forward to a strong Spring selling season."

March Highlights:

Honda Civic hold its position as the number one selling passenger car in Canada through the first quarter of 2014
    Honda Fit monthly sales were up 25% versus the same period last year
    Honda CR-V sales were up 12% over the same period last year (versus 2,777 units sold in 2013)
    Honda Odyssey sales increased by 14% versus the same period last year
    Honda Pilot sales increased by 34% over the same period last year (395 units sold in 2013), setting an all-time March record
    Honda Ridgeline saw monthly sales growth of 42% versus the same period last year
    Acura business was led by 634 delivered units of the RDX, breaking an all-time March monthly sales record

=================

« Ultima Modificare: Aprilie 02, 2014, 09:23:59 p.m. de tokyodream »

Offline tokyodream

• Global Moderator
  • Acura-Honda
    • DAIMYO
« Răspuns #12 : Aprilie 04, 2014, 03:55:59 p.m. »
http://acuraconnected.com/2014/04/03/2015-acura-tlx-spy-shots-from-china/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AcuraConnected+%28Acura+Connected%29

2015 Acura TLX Spy Shots from China

A Chinese website has posted photos of a partially camouflaged China-spec 2015 Acura TLX. These new TLX images don’t reveal much more than previous spy shots, but they do offer more contrast and crisper lines than the last batch which were rather unflattering due to poor light. The lone interior shot shows us an electric parking brake and wood trim.

The North American TLX is set to debut on April 16th at the New York International Auto Show.

[Source: autohome.com.cn]

==========
http://acuraconnected.com/2014/04/02/hot-selling-and-award-winning-rdx-goes-on-sale/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AcuraConnected+%28Acura+Connected%29

Hot selling and Award-winning RDX goes on sale

04/02/2014 – TORRANCE, Calif.

The 2015 RDX crossover SUV goes on sale today with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price* (MSRP) starting at $34,895, Acura announced today. Ever popular with customers, the RDX has been a sales hit, posting its 22nd consecutive monthly sales record in February 2014. RDX again earned honors and won the 2014 ALG Residual Value Award by delivering the highest projected three-year resale value of any vehicle in the Premium Compact Utility Vehicle category.*

The 2015 RDX features a 273-horsepower 3.5-liter V-6 engine, a 6-speed automatic transmission and an all-wheel-drive system (available as a $1,400 option). The RDX exterior incorporates an aerodynamically efficient body with Amplitude Reactive Dampers and a motion adaptive electric power steering system.

Inside the 2015 RDX, occupants will appreciate an interior design with rich interior materials, utility and generous use of noise insulation. Standard features on the RDX include leather seating surfaces, heated power front seats, a power moonroof and a 360-watt audio system. Technologies such as Pandora® interface, an SMS text messaging function, a Keyless Access System with pushbutton start, an Active Noise Control system and a Multi-Angle Rearview Camera system are also standard on all RDX models.

The Technology Package brings the RDX owner even more high-tech appointments, including items such as the AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System, Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™, a hard disk drive (HDD) with 60 gigabytes of storage capacity, AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic with Traffic Rerouting™, AcuraLink Real-Time Weather™, a GPS-linked solar-sensing, dual-zone automatic climate control system, Acura/ELS Surround® Premium Sound System, a power-actuated rear tailgate, projector beam headlights with Bi-Xenon High Intensity Discharge (HID) bulbs and front fog lights.

The RDX is equipped with a comprehensive array of the latest technologies and designs to enhance active safety (collision avoidance) and passive safety (crash safety performance). Standard features such as Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) with traction control and a 4-wheel anti-lock braking system (ABS) enhance collision avoidance capability in the new RDX.

Key safety technologies include the Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure, a total of six airbags, active head restraints (for the front seats) as well as front seatbelts with an automatic tensioning system.

The 2015 RDX is produced (using U.S. and globally sourced parts) by the company’s East Liberty, Ohio plant.
TRIM    MSRP**    EPA***
RDX    $34,895    20/28/23
RDX with Technology Package    $38,595    20/28/23
RDX with AWD    $36,295    19/27/22
RDX with AWD and Technology Package    $39,995    19/27/22

About Acura:

Acura offers a full line of technologically advanced performance luxury vehicles through a network of 275 dealers within the United States. The Acura lineup features six distinctive models including the RLX luxury flagship sedan, the TL performance luxury sedan, the TSX Sport Wagon and sedan, the ILX compact luxury sedan, the RDX luxury crossover SUV, and the all-new MDX luxury sport utility vehicle.

« Ultima Modificare: Aprilie 04, 2014, 03:57:36 p.m. de tokyodream »

Offline tokyodream

• Global Moderator
  • Acura-Honda
    • DAIMYO
« Răspuns #13 : Aprilie 08, 2014, 11:40:40 p.m. »
Gallery: NSX CONCEPT-GT Debuts in Super GT Round 1

http://acuraconnected.com/2014/04/07/gallery-nsx-concept-gt-debuts-in-super-gt-round-1/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AcuraConnected+%28Acura+Connected%29

The NSX CONCEPT-GT made its Super GT debut this past weekend in Round 1 at Okayama International Circuit. Five teams are running the NSX CONCEPT-GT in the GT500 class this season, but the Weider Modulo DOME Racing Team had the best result of the group, finishing 5th place out of 15 cars overall.

The NSX teams will need to regroup for Super GT Round 2 which takes places on May 4th at Fuji Speedway.

[Source: Honda]

Offline tokyodream

• Global Moderator
  • Acura-Honda
    • DAIMYO
« Răspuns #14 : Aprilie 14, 2014, 09:33:13 a.m. »
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/04/10/can-hondas-new-acura-tlx-really-compete-with-bmw.aspx

Can Honda's New 2015 Acura TLX Really Compete With BMW?

Honda's  (NYSE: HMC  ) Acura brand has always had decent sales, but it has never quite managed to build the cred of the German luxury marquees that Honda so often wants us to see as its rivals.

Honda's latest entry in the luxury sedan wars is the all-new 2015 Acura TLX, set to be unveiled this week in New York. Does it break new ground?

Well, not really. As with most every Acura since the brand's beginning, it draws heavily on Honda's corporate parts bin. The results have usually been nice cars, but more like deluxe Hondas than genuine luxury contenders.

But as Fool contributor John Rosevear explains in this video, that hasn't stopped Honda from talking up the TLX's "exhilarating performance" and "luxury refinement." John will be at Honda's event in New York this week, and in this video, he explains what he expects to see when Honda's premium brand pulls the wraps off its latest contender.

A transcript of the video is below.

The energy landscape is changing radically. Oil exports from America continue to rise as our country gains energy independence. And there is one company front and center that is poised to make its investors rich. Warren Buffett has already committed to it, and you can too. Click here to learn about this company in the Motley Fool's special report: OPEC's Worst Nightmare.

John Rosevear: Hey, Fools, it's John Rosevear, senior auto analyst for Fool.com. The New York International Auto Show starts next week, media days are next Wednesday and Thursday, and we're expecting the automakers to unveil several interesting new models. I'll be there with my Foolish colleague Rex Moore. We'll bring you a video report of the show's highlights at the end of each day, and we'll have a bunch of more in-depth reports for you over the next week or so after that.

One thing we'll be sure to check out is the all-new 2015 Acura TLX. Now, we saw this, or a prototype of it anyway, at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January, where Acura unveiled it as a concept. Rex and I brought you a video report on it, and the photos you see here are photos of that car from Detroit. Or maybe I should say mockup, or prototype version, because they wouldn't let us look at that car's interior and I'm not sure it actually had one.

But Honda has assured us that we'll be seeing the actual final production version of the TLX in New York. So here's what we know. This is a sedan that Acura, which is Honda's premium brand, that Acura is aiming it at the midsize luxury sports sedan neighborhood.

Now, when we think of that neighborhood, we think of some heavyweight contenders, the BMW  (NASDAQOTH: BAMXF  ) 5 Series, Audi A6, the new Cadillac CTS sedan which just won the Motor Trend "Car of the Year" award, the new Mercedes E Class, all of which are expensive, impressive cars.

I expect the TLX to be somewhat less expensive and maybe somewhat less impressive, though Honda is certainly talking up what they describe as the TLX's "exhilarating performance" and "sports-sedan athleticism" as well as its "higher levels of luxury refinement".

I'll tell you it doesn't break any new grounds with the engines, though the transmission choices are interesting. They'll offer it with choice of a 2.4 liter four cylinder, that's the VTEC engine they already use in the Civic Si, or the 3.5-liter V6 that is optional in the current Honda Accord. The four cylinder will come with an 8 speed dual clutch automatic and the V6 will have a nine-speed conventional automatic transmission, and both engines are available in front wheel drive or all wheel drive versions.

Honda says that the TLX was designed to be very quiet inside and it comes with a host of high-tech safety features, all of the latest stuff we've seen from other automakers as everybody starts to work on driverless cars, the fruits of those research programs are things like collision warning and lane departure warning systems and adaptive cruise controls, the TLX will have all of that.

So what do you think? Is this thing going to be a contender? If you're watching this on Fool.com, leave a comment and let me know what you think. Thanks for watching.

=======================

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal